onsdag, augusti 06, 2008

Rice = Nice

I paid a visit to FreeRice.com this morning to shake awake my half-asleep brain--half-asleep for I woke up at 3:30 a.m. and just stayed awake, eventually ambulating to the low-light environment off the kitchen for a little editing work at 5:30 a.m., if only to give my open eyes something to do.

Now, coffee before me, I remembered FreeRice: a site at which you take vocabulary tests, and for each word you get right (you've a one in four chance each time), 20 more grains of rice are donated in food-starved places around the world.

No registration is needed. No fees. Just you and the words and some sponsors willing to cover the cost of the rice donations.

Best word I remembered correctly: bumbershoot (umbrella)
Best word I guessed correctly: axilla (armpit)

Give it a try.
-cK

5 Comments:

Blogger Claire said...

Ace. Thank you for the tip!

Cxx

PS But who counts the grains of rice?

8:52 fm  
Anonymous Anonym said...

I gave over 1800 grains of rice earlier this morning! It was fun -I didn't miss that many words!

Erin

9:26 fm  
Blogger cK said...

Erin: Well done!

Claire: I think it's safe to assume child labor is used to count those rice grains....
-cK

10:22 fm  
Anonymous Anonym said...

Fantastic! Now I can feed animals AND people everyday while sitting on my butt at the computer eating pizza..

(animal site)
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

12:03 em  
Blogger j said...

ummm...this is really cool and just fabulous for the vocab nerd in me.

12:10 em  

Skicka en kommentar

<< Home