onsdag, december 05, 2007

Let It Snow!


A few seconds of watching the first flakes of the season,
1 December 2007. Eventually, four or five inches led to our first
city snow emergency (ie, plowing, ticketing and towing).


How very strange to have snow so early! I suppose we usually have some around Thanksgiving, but it seems that snow that sticks before January is a thing of one's childhood, not something one encounters any longer.

It's a trick of memory. Yes, the world is warming. (It is. Knock it off.) But a heavy snow when you're seven is apt to make you remember copious amounts of snow blanketing your neighborhood across many years.

I thought about this recently when seeing photographs of the Muse in Arkansas as a child and teenager. And while all the winter shots next to pines with snow-sagging limbs and houses blanketed like Swiss ski lodges may have been captured in just two of 18 winters, looking at the volume of photos snapped in those years makes it seem unusual when she says, "We almost never had snow."

Would I have recognized winter without it? No. Not a bit.

So it was wonderful to see the snow falling so thickly over the past few days. It piled up December 1 and again yesterday, as evidenced by this photo snapped at 4:30 pm, Tuesday:


But today it is sunny, and that too will be welcomed. The abrupt grey and white matte skies have been difficult to adjust to. You can see how lights in all the apartments are coming on either very early or later than expected now, all of us having trouble sleeping and waking, never truly getting into either.

So thank you for the early snow, dear winter. But now let us have a bit of sun, please. My jade plant is looking awful lean.
-cK

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonym said...

Your great advantage on these snowy days is that you are not required to be in your car during rush hour. Though my commute is less than five miles, I envy your intra-apartment commute. That certainly would help one appreciate the snow. I didn't like it nearly as much when it took me twenty minutes to travel what Google maps indicates was 0.85 miles yesterday afternoon . . . though my mood improved greatly when I was able to fire up the snowblower at home. Huzzah for horsepower!

12:20 em  
Blogger Joy said...

honestly, i can't remember the last time i experienced a fully sunny day. the sky briefly lightened for about an hour last saturday afternoon and something that was almost (but not quite) sun reflected off a few buildings, but other than that, the sky has been gray gray gray gray gray and very heavy. not light till 8:30, mostly dark by 4:00. this morning the cloud cover was so low that the top of the Ministry was not visible. it's grim.

12:29 em  
Blogger cK said...

A snowblower!?

I think I'd be dangerous with that thing.
-cK

12:31 em  
Blogger cK said...

I don't envy the grimness, Joy, but I do like the look of towers that disappear in the clouds. It's a world of metaphors and atmosphere....
-cK

12:32 em  
Blogger Night Editor said...

Nice, thanks for the snowpost, cK. I've been in Boston since the first so it was good to see photos of Marshall Ave? lined with fresh snow. New England got snow, too, but not much, still my night cabbie didn't know how to drive in it: he pushed hard on the pedal every time he took off and the back end of the cab shimmied like a scene from a Chevy Chase movie.

1:01 em  
Blogger cK said...

Happy days, Night Editor. The snow was falling on Western...but very near Marshall. And the photo is of the corner of Western and Selby (Blair Building with Nina's, Keillor's bookshop, and so forth).
-cK

1:21 em  
Anonymous Anonym said...

Aww, it says the video no longer exists.

4:35 em  
Blogger Lollie said...

I DO miss the ck - so glad you're back. I thought you were going all hibernating bear on us.

Bring your jade plant next week...she can talk in the sunshine to my lucky bamboo.

5:05 em  
Blogger cK said...

Sara: I don't know why the video vanished. It worked for me after a moment. I'm not sure what that was. YouTube hiccup? Or maybe there's something about uploading videos I don't understand.

At any rate, it just played. (But it's nowhere near as nice as the snow videos you've captured!)

Lol: Sun sun sun! I'll soon you soon.
-cK

5:15 em  

Skicka en kommentar

<< Home