onsdag, oktober 03, 2007

Yoga

I recall an early moment from a Woody Allen short story in the New Yorker some years ago. He describes a man throwing out his back, and the position of his spine is likened to a Möbius strip. I don't feel quite that pounded apart from my initial yoga sessions--all two of them--but I am sore.

The Muse has us getting healthier this way, and good for that, but man did Rodney Yee put us through the ringer on his Power Yoga: Strength (for Beginners) DVD. The Muse had a tape of this from years ago, but when we put it in the VCR the machine ate the tape. So DVDs were purchased, and apparently Mr. Yee has updated his beginners fare, adding various suspension moves one might more often find male gymnasts performing during a floor routine or even on the pommel horse.

Reviewers at Amazon, ever out to prove Aristotle's warnings about democracy, complained that this yoga DVD set was (a) too simple for even beginners, (b) too difficult for beginners, and (c) perfect for beginners.

I've had a yoga mat and strap for a good spell, and two years ago was decently flexible, but I'd never tried an actual yoga instructor-led workout. (I'm also the sort of person who rarely reads directions.) OUCH.

Damn you downward dog!

Even more annoying: it's a satisfying pain. I feel really good now. I'm sore, but I feel really good. Bendy Wendy (link goes to YouTube) would be proud.

LET THE REAL PAIN BEGIN

Tonight the Cubs embark on their probably brief post-season journey. And I will once again be thrown under the emotional bus.

7 Comments:

Blogger Night Editor said...

You two might enjoy a nearby yoga studio (near the Day by Day).They're offering a couple of free classes in October and November: http://www.riverbendyoga.com/index.html

7:29 fm  
Blogger cK said...

Cool. Thanks! (Though I think I'll wait about a year before I try to do yoga in a public setting.)
-cK

8:07 fm  
Anonymous Anonym said...

The emotional bus can wait - Cubs are going to win! Win! Win!
Erin

9:50 fm  
Blogger cK said...

Aww. Thanks for the vote of confidence, Erin.

I wish I felt it! I was so thinking that I'd be okay. Then I caught a glimpse of the Cubs in a highlight on tv. My chest tightened. I felt a lump in my throat.

I wish you didn't have to see me like this....
-cK

10:51 fm  
Blogger Night Editor said...

maybe it'll help to see the photo gallery of Rally Monday for the Cubs on http://mlb.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=chc

You are not alone.

1:03 em  
Blogger Lollie said...

cK, did you know that my ex-husband Michael told Rodney to take his first yoga class? They both worked at Oakland Ballet in the late 70s(?) and he was super uptight and angry - usual dancer fare. Mike said, "Dude, chill out...you need to take a yoga class." And the rest is history.

2:11 em  
Blogger cK said...

I knew it! I told the Muse that you'd probably have some sort of inside scoop on Yee (as he's a former dancer). Alas!

Lol: Some people depend on Variety or Entertainment Tonight or TMZ for gossip and scoops. I've got you.
-cK

2:32 em  

Skicka en kommentar

<< Home